2021-2022 Mart ISD Dress Code
Dress and Grooming (All Grade Levels)
The district’s dress code teaches grooming and hygiene, prevents disruption, minimizes
safety hazards, and maintains a positive learning climate. Students and parents may
determine a student’s personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply
with the following:
● Shirts, blouses, and dresses must cover at least 2 inches of the shoulder and
must be buttoned and/or snapped appropriately. Cold shoulder style shirts and
dresses are allowed as long as no undergarments are seen.
● No tank tops, muscle shirts, see-through, or transparent material for any clothing
● Sun dresses and sleeveless shirts are not permitted it they expose any part of
undergarments. This type of clothing is not permissible even if worn under another
outer garment such as a zippered jacket, hoodie, or over shirt.
● No showing of midriff. (Shirts or blouses that expose the midriff when arms are at
the side or when the hands are raised to the shoulders will be declared a violation
of the dress code.)
● Head coverings (caps/hats) must be removed when in the school building.
Bandannas, headbands and do-rag-type head coverings for male students are
prohibited in the school building. Hoods on any clothing should be removed from
covering any part of the head while in the building.
● No clothing that advertises or advocates the use of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, or
any illegal substances are allowed.
● Sunglasses may not be worn in the building without a proper prescription from a
physician. Sunglasses being worn in the hair are prohibited.
● Colored or cosmetic contacts which are unnatural in color or design or are
otherwise deemed a distraction are prohibited.
● Shoes must be worn at all times and must be properly laced and tied/buckled.
Flip-flops, aqua socks, and soft cloth house shoes are prohibited. Exception: High
School/Junior High students (grade 7-12) may wear flip-flops until further notice.
High heeled shoes are not appropriate footwear at the Elementary School. Note:
Students at all campuses must wear appropriate footwear in PE as required by the
● Belts if worn must be buckled at all times. Suspenders and overall straps must be
worn as designed, over the shoulder.
● Sagging clothing and excessively long shirt tails are considered a safety concern.
Male students’ pants/trousers must be pulled up at all times. The legs of
pants/trousers must be worn appropriately.
● Appropriate undergarments shall be worn and worn appropriately. Undergarments
must not be visible.
● Any clothing that conveys lewd, offensive, vulgar or obscene messages are
banned, as are any inappropriate messages, this includes messages that promote
satanic groups, cults, racism, skulls, or gang activities. No pants, slacks, or shorts
with words across the seat are acceptable.
● Cut up and holey jeans are allowed as long as skin is not showing above
mid-thigh and frays are not determined to be a safety concern.
● Appropriate shorts, skirts, and dresses may be worn. These clothing items must
not be disruptive and attract undue attention or interrupt the educational process.
Shorts, skirts, and dresses must be longer than the fingertips when arms are
extended straight down the side of the leg or 6 inches above the knee (whichever
is shorter). Clothing must not be disruptive or revealing.
● Bicycle shorts, leggings, yoga style apparel or other types of clothing that are
excessively tight are not allowed, unless worn with a shirt that covers past the
● Boys are prohibited from wearing make-up, earrings, ear studs, or tape covering
the ear/eye brow.
● When excessive earrings are worn in the ear and become a distraction, they may
be considered disruptive to the educational process.
● Tattoos, nose rings/studs, tongue rings/studs, belly button rings/studs, or other
ornaments or jewelry that may be viewed as a distraction by school personnel are
prohibited. Tattoos are required to be covered at school.
● Grills or any other ornamental mouth pieces are prohibited.
● Pajama type clothing is prohibited. Exception: Pajamas may be worn on
designated spirit days as long as they are appropriate and not revealing.
● Blankets or quilts are not acceptable for clothing or coats. If you are in need of a
winter coat, please contact the campus counselor.
● Oversized jackets are prohibited in the building including long/below the waist
non-see through raincoats, trench coats, or any coat longer than the waist.
● Hair is required to be neat, clean and well groomed. Hairstyles, hairpieces, and
unnatural colors that are considered a disruption will not be allowed. At the
elementary campus, no artificial hair coloring is allowed.
● Hair curlers, rollers, and combs/pics/sunglasses worn in the hair are prohibited.
● Hair must be styled to ensure a clear line of vision can be maintained throughout
the school day. Hairstyles which possess safety hazards in certain classes may
require that the hair be secured in such a manner as to create the least potential
● Male students are to be clean shaven daily- Mustaches, goatees, or beards are
● Distracting hairstyles are not permitted.
If the principal determines that a student’s grooming or clothing violates the school’s dress code,
the student will be given an opportunity to correct the problem at school and return to the
classroom. If the problem cannot be corrected at school, the principal will work with the student
and parent to obtain an acceptable change of clothing for the student in a way that minimizes
loss of instructional time.
Repeated or severe offenses may result in more serious disciplinary action in accordance with
the Student Code of Conduct.
New Dress Code
JUN 30, 2021
2021-2022 Mart ISD Dress Code